California based Facebook has announced that it has 901 million users, suggesting it’s more likely to hit 1 billion user mark well before the end of the year. The firm revealed its stat in its amended S-1 filing, Facebook also notes that its net income fell 12 percent to $233 million from $205 million in the three months that ended March 31. Net income attributable to common shareholders fell to $137 million from $153 million. That amounts to earnings of 9 cents per share in the latest quarter, down from 11 cents a year earlier.
Some key stats from the S1 Filing:
- Monthly active users now total 901 million (up from 680 million a year ago).
- Daily active users are up to 526 million (up from 372 million last year).
- Monthly mobile users now total 488 million.
- 300 million photos are uploaded to the site each day.
- 3.2 billion Likes and Comments are posted daily.
- 125 billion friendships are forged per day.
- Facebook will pay $300 million in cash, plus 23 million shares of common stock for photo-sharing app Instagram.
- If the Instagram deal falls through, Facebook will pay $200 million.
- Revenue for the first quarter of 2012 was $1.058 billion, up from $731 last year.
- Net income dropped to $205 million for the quarter, down from $233 last year.
Facebook’s profit in the quarter, ended in March, slipped to $205 million, down 12% from a year ago. Revenue came in at $1.1 billion for the quarter. The company reported increased expenses for marketing, sales, and research and development, according to SEC. Facebook agreed to acquire 750 patents from IBM, a move that came on the heels of Yahoo suing Facebook over patent-infringement allegations.
The amended filing comes hot on the heels of the news that Facebook is paying Microsoft $550 million for a number of patents that Microsoft recently acquired from AOL.The results are not a disaster, and too many big investors have a lot to gain from a successful public offering. How big will Facebook get, and how fast? Sound off in the comments below.
- Adobe To Cuts 750 Jobs, Shares fall?
- eBay Posts Strong Q4 Earning
- Facebook Deal Nets Instagram Chief Executive $400 Million
- Instagram for Android hits 5 million downloads in six days
- PayPal Reveals 12M monthly users are paying for Facebook games
- Facebook Reaches 10M Users in Japan
- Instagram passes 40 million user mark, says API
- LinkedIn Passes 150 Million Users, Reports Strong Q4